If I told my boss that I want to work on the weekend for free, would he think I'm weird?

I just kind of enjoy working.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I did that years ago, the first law firm where I worked. I was bored with a full hour for lunch so I ate and walked for half an hour, giving the firm - working my other half hour for lunch every day for free. They didn't deserve it. If your employer deserves it, go ahead. Work there for a while first so you get to know them. If they don't deserve it, go out and get some exercise.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You cant work for free even if you want to.

• 1 month ago

That could be construed as Slave Labor and be against the Law. 

Maybe tell your boss you will work for Free under the Table? 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you want to work, for free then you could do that if you were self employed. I do projects, for myself, and I am not getting paid, for it. If I do a project, for another human being then I expect to be paid.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He's also think it would be illegal to let you, and he'd be right about that.

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

May or may not, I used to do it all the time. I enjoyed it and it increased what I was able to learn. Now this was 30 or so years ago.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes he would, and it's illegal for him to let you do so. Find a weekend job or a hobby.

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Weird and, unless you're salaried, likely could be seen as illegal. No employer would touch that situation then have you come back later saying you felt obligated to be there. It's not worth it at all.

• Stella
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He would think it very weird and your coworkers would resent you.  If you work for free that's hours and money lost to them.

Anyway, he would probably decline for insurance reasons.

• 1 month ago

He would probably love that he's saving money off of you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.