Where is the darkest place in the world?

I had a dream last night about searching for the darkest place in the world. So dark that I can't even see my own body. Nothingness in every direction. Where can I find this spot? Preferrbly in California.

• Andrew
    Favorite Answer

Well, while there are different degrees of darkness just as there are different degrees of light, those differences stem from the fact that the particular conditions vary, not because the darker or brighter places happen to be situated in a specific area. There are places on Earth in the far north or south where the length of the days and nights varies over the course of the year, but while those places might get sunlight for days or weeks on end and go through periods of time where the sun doesn't rise for equal lengths of time, there are places everywhere that are far from sizable centers of habitation where there's zero artificial light, so if it's cloudy or moonless the darkness is especially noticeable compared to areas where the lights of cities or towns creeps in. There are places in Africa, the Americas, in Eurasia, in Australia, as well as in the Arctic, Antarctic and Pacific where the darkness is crushing. But of course the darkness can really only be absolute in the total absence of light, so any subterranean area like a cave would be the darkest place a human could feasibly reach. And of course once you're underground it really wouldn't matter where on Earth that place happened to be. A deep cave beneath the burning sands of the Sahara would be just as dark as one located on some Antarctic island. So what you're looking for would be a cave, cavern, mineshaft, tunnel, or even a structure that completely blocks out all light. Those can be found everywhere. 

when you close your eyes, who are you?

it is pretty dark in there. lots of places have no light at all.  it is the writer who projects their own values on the environment.

• Matthew3 months agoReport

That's the thing I wanna have my eyes open and see only darkness. 

Cave systems would do it. Ever hear of Carlsbad?

• Matthew3 months agoReport

Carlsbad isn't too far from me. I'll definitely check this out!! Thank you

The darkest place is right behind your eyelids.