Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

How can i live off the grid?

What confuses me is setting up a small home, I live in an apartment and don't know much about real estate. I'm looking to buy a small plot of land somewhere in Michigan or Colorado and preferably out in the country, what permits would I need, would someone come and inspect my place (can I get around this at all?) if I have solar power do i need someone to verify my electrical hookups. How do tax assessors work? can I just set my little house up without going through tons of red tape? Any information you could give would be a great help.

Favorite Answer

It can depend a lot on where.  Most counties will require you to install a septic system before they will permit you to occupy.  But there is no requirement you to tap into utilities.  Step one is to go to the county planning and zoning office of the county you opt to purchase your plot.  You are better off seeking property zoned Agricultural.  How do tax assessors work?  Each plot of land is assessed a value by the tax assessor and you are taxed upon that value.  For example if your county and state taxes equal 1.5% and your plot of land costs $25,000 your yearly property taxes would be $375.  But when you build on that property (which will require building permits, and require you to build to meet the building codes) the assessed value will increase making for higher property taxes.  A way around this is to install a mobile home.  You will still need the septic system.  

• John

You will have to hunt everyday.

You need to go to city hall and talk to the appropriate people in charged of land, electricity, etc.  Every town will have different set of rules.  Ask around and try to form a general rule and go from there.  #Trump2020 #JailHillary

Sorry, but I don't think you are prepared or equipped for what you propose.

• Maxi

You need to do the research and find out what type of land you need to buy to enable you to build, planning permissions you need to get and also learn about passive /eco homes

• Maxi
      1 month agoReport

Building laws/planning permission depends on the country very often  varies within the same country, so no there is no universal laws. Building inspectors, inspect at various stages of the building of already approved property plans & pass it as correct before it can be occupied (where I come from)