If cursive is no longer taught what are people using as signatures?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I imagine that there might come a time

when instead of cursive being taught

students will only be taught enough cursive to sign their own names.

Of course, cursive is not required for a signature. People who don't know cursive can legally sign their names using "block letters" (i.e. "hand printing")...

and people who don't know how to write at all can still use the classic "X" to legally sign a document.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

Some people just print their names - it's still in their hand, and difficult to reproduce, so it's not really an issue.

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Interesting questions, I never thought of that. My youngest will graduate this year and she did learn cursive. It was only one year, way back in second grade I believe.  Guess it will be up to the parents, who already do not enough as far as educating, their own kids.

• 1 month ago

Apparently it is no longer taught in schools in the US, which I think is ridiculous. I had to look it up to see fro myself. Other countries still teach it of course, because it is an essential skill. It is much faster than printing, so the US education system is letting children down by giving them less education and making written commnication more difficult. 

The first and most important things to be taught in school are reading, writing and arithmetic. Americans are down to two thirds of their education now. 

• River Euphrates
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

I'm not against teaching it, but I think you are overstating the importance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

"Cursive" is a TYPE of writing, very elaborate, requiring skills with the pen.

Most signatures are barely legible scribbles, let a lone cursive.

• ...Show all comments
    • peter m
      Lv 6
      2 weeks agoReport

skill of "artistic representation" can take A LOT of Time... especially with the Teaching of it.. 

• 1 month ago

Since when have most people had legible signatures?

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Squiggles. .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.