Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 3 months ago

Are Siberian huskies obedient and listen to commands ? ?

Favorite Answer

Heck, no they are NOT obedient or easy to train - JUST THE OPPOSITE.  Huskies are closer to wolves in behavior than many other canines.  This is an INDEPENDENT breed,  (somewhat FERAL) & it does not care about "pleasing you".  They can even be hard to house-train (which is pretty basic).  Huskies are bottomless pits as to an extreme NEED for hard daily exercise (since bred to pull a LOADED SLED for 8-10 hours non-stop.)  They are NOT GOOD with other smaller pets (extremely high PREY DRIVE).  Which is why => 75% end in surrendered to shelters or in rescue, because aside from being hard to train - they tend to be talented escape artists (who would make Houdini proud) & will not come back, even if called. 

They can be obedient if you put in enough work but whether they'll listen to all your commands is a whole other story.

It is also MYTH that they require 8 to 10 hours of HARD exercise daily UNLESS you are deliberately buying from a Working focused breeder Going through Kennel Club breeders who focus on conformation offers up better PET quality Huskies.

Well judging from my mothers 1 year old rescue huskie, I would say no. I’ve been bitten 3 times (breaking skin) and she is very much out of control. She has a hard time listening to commands even after hiring a trainer to help with training. I have 2 dogs and my mother has had multiple dogs for 10plus years with some being rescues also and I must say this is the most difficult dog to deal with and I honestly think it was a mistake for her to get this specific breed considering the fact she works 16 hour shifts and the dog doesn’t have much time out like they need.

Mine is high energy and head strong.  He listens to commands, but he doesn't respond as quickly as my second dog.

• Eva

They can be.....eventually. They are very high energy. At the veterinary hospital I worked at, we used to say they didn't get brains until they were 2.  I like northern breeds (huskies, norwegian elkhounds, samoyeds, etc) but they tend to be very hard headed. Starting to train them early and giving them lots of exercise will give you the best result.

No more than any other breed.

To note: Huskies are kept on Chains, often staked out so they cannot reach others Working only on a tow line collectively under the whip of a driver.

• Maxi

All and any dogs are obedient and listen to commands if the owner trains them

If they are trained properly they will follow commands and are considered great companions overall.