How to get experience in the Accounting Field?

I just got my bachelor’s in accounting and now I’m looking for a job. I am very nervous because I don’t feel as if I gained much from school. In my search everyone is asking for 2-3 years experience or 3.0 for an internship? My GPA is 2.79. How can I get the necessary experience?

• Eva

You're going to have to take an entry level bookkeeping job. Your GPA is considered low to be hired at any large accounting firm in a higher position.

Are you applying to these jobs that want experience/GPA or are you avoiding them?   I'm an accountant and never had a problem getting a job even when I started out.

Apply to everything, what's the harm?  Many of these companies will take  you because a person with the qualifications on the ad wants more than they will pay.  You will be offered less but it will get your foot in the door.   Once you get a few years into the field, No One asks for your GPA  and

it should not be on your resume.

Bear in mind also that it can take months to find the right job,it doesn't happen overnight.

Have you considered the possibility that you're in the wrong profession? And "internship"?

One takes an internship during the summer break between school before graduation or after graduation as part of the certification process (e.g., like MDs or clinical psychologists intern before they can practice after getting their degrees).

As you've already graduated, do you need to take that internship to qualify for the CPA or similar? Apparently your school did not help you get that internship. Most schools do you know. In fact many schools will help their better students get summer jobs between semesters.

OK, anyway, go to your school's student counselor and see if they might be able to help. It's to the school's advantage to be able to advertise a high job placement rate after graduation. So you should be able to find someone there who might help.

Source(s): Four degrees each from one of four universities. And I served as Adjunct Faculty in several as well.

Start out as a book keeper.