promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

my 24 y/o daughter+ kids moved back in and i have supported for more than half of the year. can i claim my daughter as a dependent?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

No. There are no more dependent exemptions - they were eliminated and you got a bigger standard deduction.

Read IRS Publication 501 to see if her kids meet the test for being your qualified relative. If they do and they were under 17 at the end of 2019, you may be able to claim the Child Tax Credit.

• Coffee Drinker
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You still claim dependents, you just don't get an exemption, but every dependent gets you a credit - which you claim by claiming the dependent. so your answer is very misleading.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

How much did she make for the year?  If over about $4000, no, you cannot claim her and by extension cannot claim the kids since she can.

• NA
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

If daughter makes, say, $20k and dad makes $20,001, he is eligible to claim grandkids if mother doesn't.  As shown in IRS publication 501. 

• 3 months ago

Maybe. It depends on how much income she had before moving back.

• 3 months ago

Per IRS pub 501, your descendants don't have to live with you the whole year.  Your daughter, however, cannot have an income greater than $4200.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • NA
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

See IRS publication 501. For your daughter, the rules are tough.

Among other rules, her income has to be less than $4200 and you have to have provided more than half of her support for the entire year, not just when she lived with you.  If you sent her lots of money, maybe.

Unless she was a student, all you would qualify for is a $500 credit.

• 3 months ago

Yes, but make sure she agrees to it / won't claim herself on her taxes..

• 3 months ago

Probably not. To claim someone who is 24 or older, you usually need them to live with you all year, not just more than half.

However, if she can't claim her kids, then you might be able to claim them, because they are your grandchildren and under 19 and lived with you over half the year.

• NA
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

The daughter can choose not to claim children, even if eligible to.  If granddad's income is higher, he can.

• 3 months ago

Only if she is classified as unable to work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.