Adam asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Since the Senate is violating the first amendment with its impeachment trial rules, should the press sneak in and record the trial?

Update:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The Senate isn't violating the first amendment. The press are allowed to exist. There's no requirement that the government has to be transparent to the press.

• ...Show all comments
    • Adam1 month agoReport

A full senate impeachment trial should be classified? What country are we in, China?

• Login to reply the answers
  • Sandy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

the Democrats in the House also violated impeachment rules by having private testimony. why didn't you ask the press to "sneak in" on those meetings?

• 1 month ago

Your premise is not correct.  Nothing about the trial rules violate the first amendment.  Not even close.

You do not understand the first amendment.  "freedom of the press" simply means that citizens can publish what they want without being subject to government censorship. It does not create a special class of person known as "the press" which gets special privileges, nor does it mean the Senate cannot keep its own proceedings secret when necessary.

Members of "the press" can try to sneak in, but they would likely get in trouble.

• ...Show all comments
    • Adam1 month agoReport

I'm sure you'd like me to begin my studies with Mein Kampf and the Communist Manifesto. Stop believing everything bigots tell you.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The democrats in the House violated the constitution by undermining an election.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.