Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Can I learn a fluent American accent at age 35+ if I work really hard?

Where I live people are very proud of their accent and would think I’m an idiot for trying to speak like an American. I guess I’m just afraid I’ll struggle when I want to live there someday. It’s probably going to take a while for me to emigrate.

Update: Why would I want to do it? Because I really want to do it for myself. To have it as part of my identity. Not for anyone else. I don’t want to get stuck in a place that’s not me.

• Mamie

Which American accent are you interested in acquiring?  A Boston accent?  A New York/Brooklyn accent?  A mid-west accent?  A southern accent?  Or the "accent" that network newscasters speak on television?  (Nobody actually speaks like that except network newscasters.)   You really have to think this through more.  

Frankly, it probably won't be possible to acquire any of these accents unless you happen to be gifted with that ability...and some people are.  But not most.  And it's not necessary anyway.  

Yes you can.   To be able to do that is, once you are here in the USA speak it daily with locals.     Speak, read out loud, watch TV, all in English.    

• Cogito

Even if you're going to live in the USA, you don't need to develop an American accent.  Why would you?