Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Friend owes me money, claims they are broke, but their social media shows them going on nights out 4 times a week. How to get my money back?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Alan H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Unless you have it in writing, far better to write it off, and ensure you never give money again 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

You don't.  Any time you ever loan money to someone in the future, or even a book, for that matter, consider it a "gift". And if you do get it back, it will indeed be one.

• 1 month ago

If you are a male and your friend is a female just tell her you are willing to let her work it out with you. Perhaps that would give her the impetus to give you your money back, if not, have fun and be sure to add some interest to it.

• 1 month ago

This is the problem with loaning money. People don't usually repay it. I don't loan money. If someone is in dire need, i will give them money though. It's happened very occasionally. And i dont call it a loan. If they pay me back they do, if not, oh well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If they owe you more than $600, you MIGHT get it back, after Court expenses, by taking them to Small Claims Court.

Otherwise, there is nothing you can do except to learn to never loan them money again.

• Robert
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If you have signed agreements, take them to small claims court. That may get their attention although it still remains hard to collect. If you don't have any signed agreement, you're not going to get your money back. You could try to embarrassed them but people don't seem to be embarrassed by anything in 2020. I'd make sure everyone they know or have ever met know that they are a deadbeat and are out and about "possibly buying drugs" because you can't imagine where the money goes if they can't even pay their debts. Character assignation can backfire though so be cautious. But if you do get under their skin, they may decide to pay you to get you out of their lives. When it comes to money, NEVER loan to a "friend" and if they don't pay you back they are not a "friend".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.