Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Is my puppy sick?? Help??

I currently have a new puppy and he's 8 weeks old.   Last night around 8pm i think i put too much food in his bowl,  and he ate it all.    Once last night he threw up,  and this morning he threw up as well......what should i dooo?????   Any advice

Im at work but my girlfriend is at home with the puppy?????

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Stop overfeeding your puppy.  You should not have a dog if you don't know how to take care of it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Responsible adults call a Veterinarian if a dog displays changed behavior.  When you took it in for its well puppy visit, did the Veterinarian say anything about its health?

• 1 month ago

Puppy may (or MAY NOT) be sick from overeating.  Puppies normally just get a plump or extended tummy, if they over eat.  But puppies who are exposed to PARVOVIRUS either thru visitors to the 'breeder's" home or where ever you may have taken it, can quickly get sick and unfortunately Parvo is DEADLY in 80% of cases.... in unvaccinated puppies, so GET TO THE VET and stop making assumptions.  If it continues to vomit, it is NOT the food & puppy will get DEHYDRATED (too).

WHY DON'T you know how much to FEED PER MEAL from the supposed BREEDER???  Any **REPUTABLE** breeder would have given you an instructions sheet with the exact amount to feed, per meal and some of THEIR puppy food, to prevent tummy upset..... until you could buy some.

• 1 month ago

Have started the puppy shots to protect pups from fatal puppyhood diseases. If you have not has this pup in to see a Vet, you need to immediately cause Parvo is deadly. It starts out with vomiting & diarrhea.

If you have started the shots, just call your Vet & ask if this vomiting has anything to do with the disease. Keeping the pup hydrated is the MOST important part of the treatment. It is a Virus & antibiotics won't help at all.

It could be something much harmless but I would not take any chances.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's suffering you need to euthanize it

• 1 month ago

Are his stools normal?  Is his behavior normal?

• 1 month ago

Have you taken your new pup to the vets for its first healthcheck if not do so; and you will find out it´s health problems if any, there and then at the vets

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

So you have over fed the pup.......... have you also changed the pups food that the breeder fed it ?

If you are concerned you take it to the vets and that will depend on how the pup is behaving and if you are continuing to feed the kibble you are giving..... at eight weeks old it is small meals 4 times a day, lots of calcium and good quality food.

Suggest you do some research and take some time when dealing with feeding such a young pup and weigh out its meal...so you don't get into the "I think"...as you should KNOW

• PR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Be SURE you are mixing water and at least half canned in his food. If he is vomiting canned food, consult with the vet. Consider that this pup was just weaned recently, so he will be eating more of a slurry, rather than dry food.

Once you get the mix right (it should be mainly canned with just a bit of dry if you choose, or look like a nice stew), watch to be sure he isn't vomiting anymore. If he seems O.K, then don't worry too much, but if he vomits again, CALL THE VET. 

With vets open limited hours on Saturdays, it wouldn't hurt just to call since an emergency vet visit is expensive. The vet will tell you what they think, and will also ask the pertinent questions.

By the way: Get good quality canned food. Don't just buy Alpo or similar. It is important to feed relatively decent food.

A pup should eat about 3 times per day, but 4 smaller servings will be O.K., too. If you are feeding him only once or twice per day, and just dry food, he will be sick. We have ALWAYS added water to even our adult dogs' food to make it go down easier. We have also always fed adult dogs TWO times per day because one feeding-only can cause liver issues.

DO NOT "self-feed". Always give the puppy his appropriate serving, let him eat, then pick the dish back up. If he hasn't finished, you either gave him too much, or he is sick and the vet needs to be consulted. Self-feeding is not good for a dog.

• ...Show all comments
    • E. H. Amos
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Puppies get their teeth at 4 weeks this advice is INSANE!  Virtually all breeders get them from slurry to HARD (REPEAT HARD!!!!) kibble by 6-7 weeks.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Like you said that puppy ate too much, he only has a tiny tummy and was just getting rid if the excess food.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.