KK asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How can I help my male dog when he is horny around female dogs in heat?

I have a male dog and a couple of females. We are trying to get him to mate with one that is in heat, but she won’t let him. Every time he tries, she snaps and growls at him. Is there anything I can do to make her more susceptible to him. If not, how can I help him because he seems like he’s suffering. Getting fixed is not an option as of right now.

I can afford to fix my dogs, but we breed as a business. They are two purebred mini Australian shepherds with papers. We are not being irresponsible, I am just trying to get some helpful advice.

All you are doing by breeding dogs is contributing to animal suffering. The shelters are full of unwanted dogs and why would you want to put a dog you love through that. Is it a pet or a cash cow?  

Simple: get your pets spayed and neutered.

You ARE being irresponsible as you clearly do not know enough to be breeding.  Having papers is purely the beginning point and NOBODY should breed 'as a business'.  

You are being nothing but irresponsible backyard breeders. 

You don't have pure bred dogs. You have ill bred mutts. You need to neuter and spay them. Since you claim you can't 'afford' to do that then you can't afford to own pets and need to get rid of them

• Ocimom

Not all dogs are receptive to breeding.  You are making them a money making machine.  Spay and neuter your dogs.  Likely they are only pet quality anyway and should not be bred in the first place.  A reputable breeder would not have to go on Yahoo Answers to have questions answered about breeding.

Find a different "business".. You have no clue what you are doing.   Spay and neuter your pet quality animals and leave breeding to people who know what they are doing.

NEWS FLASH:  Even if they were both CHAMPIONS and had additional WORKING TITLES and had all the BREED RECOMMENDED HEALTH CLEARANCES (which THEY ***DO NOT*** HAVE) you would be "LUCKY" to break even.  There is no MONEY (no profit) in dog breeding especially when you are utterly CLUELESS.  We do not help or enable back-yard GREEDERS.  (Move on!)

If you don't even KNOW the basics when it comes to mating, let alone whether the two should be allowed to mate then please abandon these plans.   EXPECIALLY if you are looking at this as 'a business'.  

You are about to become a BYB, just for starters. 

How to make her 'more SUSCEPTIBLE' TO HIM - wot?   I'm assuming you are asking how to make it possible for her to ACCEPT HIM.    And this is, again, basic knowledge whch clearly you haven't the faintest idea about.

How to stop him suffering (and right now, he is) - get that male OUT OF THERE.  

And then there's whether you know enough about their pedigrees - and what physical faults each has to even be considering mating them.

Nah.  I just hope you are trolling.  But if remotely not, after you have removed these males from anywhere near her - in another couple of months, GET HER SPAYED and leave breeding to those who care about their chosen breed.

As for income - which is not what a reputable breeder is about - yes you have no stud fee to pay for, but if it all goes pear-shaped which with your lack of knowledge may well happen, you could be looking at the cost of a C.Section (often a four figure sum) and even the loss of your b itch.  To say nothing of your time, heating, feed, vet bills for vaccination/health check for any puppies who survive etc.  Good breeders are happy if they break even, with a nice puppy to take into the next generation.   So forget about this $800 per puppy income.

• GTB

See your vet as he deals w this

• Jojo

WHY are you keeping intact male and female dogs together? The most sensible thing to do is have female dogs spayed. You are obviously NOT a experienced and responsible dog breeder or you would not be asking this question online. Just WHY are you wanting to breed with these dogs? Is there a good reason? I very much doubt it. 

To stop the male dog from `suffering`you need to keep him a long way from your females, preferably at a relatives house or in boarding kennels and then you need to have your female dogs spayed. Don`t you think their are enough poorly bred dogs languishing in rescue kennels, without YOU wanting to breed even more? Ignorant posts like this just serve to annoy me A LOT. JMO.

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years.