How long did your Prius last before you had to buy a new battery?

I'm in the market for a used Prius. I know once the battery goes it is very expensive to replace. I was wondering if was even worth buying a used Prius when my budget isn't very high to begin with. 

Thank you in advance. 

• P

Expect to replace all the battery packs after the Prius is about 12 years old.  Which is pretty standard across most hybrids. 

I replaced the battery pack in my 2008 Prius just recently even though it hadn't thrown a code yet. It was showing signs of battery weakness and I moved to a very hot desert climate that is tough on batteries. There are still many Prii running around on the original batteries after 15 years on the road but it seems a lot of them are due around 12. There is battery maintenance you can do on them to balance the cells and make them last longer.

Whatever it costs, and I have heard from 3K on up, do not buy a remanufactured battery pack for the car, get a new battery pack. I would never buy a used electric car or hybrid as the battery pack is so expensive. Do yourself a favor and get a gasoline Corolla, Camry or a Honda.

• Steve M
      1 month agoReport

I just replaced the batteries in my 2008 Prius. New battery packs through dealers are now down to $1650-1950 plus up to about $500 for installation at Toyota dealers not intent on gouging the customer. You're using outdated information.