Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBasketball · 1 month ago

Do you think basketball going to be second most popular sport around the world?

I think in 10 years basketball is going to be the second most popular sport in the world

• Adam D
    Favorite Answer

It's already been around a long time, it has probably risen as highly up that list as it is going to go.  I'm sure there are lots of lists for this, I've linked one of them.  Different lists may vary some, but I doubt they are going to be much different.

Soccer (football) is obviously going to top the list with the most fans.  Cricket at number 2 is also no surprise.  I didn't realize field hockey was so popular with the rest of the world, since it isn't as ubiquitous here in the US.  Tennis at number 4 also makes sense, though I didn't immediately think of it.  Volleyball at number 5 is bit of a surprise too, but I guess it can also depend on what year they were trying to take data - volleyball probably gains some fans during Olympic years but drop down the list on others.  Table tennis at number 6 isn't a shocker either, and as China continues to modernize it may continue to gain fans.  Basketball sits at 7 on this particular list.  It might overtake volleyball during non-Olympic years, and possibly table tennis if that sport has reached the peak of its popularity.  But it isn't likely to crack the top 5.

• Kathy

I think it is 3rd most popular behind football and baseball.

• Lôn

No.... it's a boring non-contact sport. OK for Yanks. It's netball for men.