Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

How many questions are on a California 2020 DMV permit test?

I’m going to be taking it for the first time and I want to know how much questions will be on it. Someone told me there’d be 36 another person told me 40 and this website told me 46. I’m so confused. Which one is that right amount?

Favorite Answer

The last I heard it was 46 questions, of which you need to get 38 right.

• Edna

Don't worry about how many questions are on the Written Test - it's pretty hard to fail that test. Each question is a multiple-choice question, with 4 possible answers given. You just put a check mark beside the correct answer. It's not a timed test, and no two tests are alike. 

It mostly covers the 'rules of the road'. If you study the California Drivers' Handbook before you take the test, you won't have any trouble passing - regardless of how many questions are on the test. 

• Ron

The drivers handbook, which apparently you haven't opened yet, specifically states how many questions there are and how many you need to get right

• Scott

What difference does it make? You either know the material in the driver's handbook or you don't.

• May

What possible difference would 36 or 40 or 46 make?

Some test versions may have 25 or 30 others 36 or 40 or 46 or 50, etc.....