Dog house training?

I’m trying to train my new pup to go pee & poop outside and not in the apartment, which is a little difficult cause we live on the 28th floor and it takes a little while to get downstairs and sometimes he can’t hold it much longer and pees on the hallway floor. We also have him caged most of the day since we’re at work and we don’t want him peeing around the house. what’s your best advice? And can I let him poo & pee on the balcony on a pee pad until we get a grass patch? 

• P

Put a cat sized litter tray outside your front door and take your pup outside your front  door to poop and wee on the cat tray at regular intervals. Please remember to change it daily. I think it is cruel to have  a dog live on the 28th floor of an apartment. Get a cat or a tank of tropical fish instead!

• Maxi

How can you "be trying to train" when you are at work all day leaving the pup in a crate?

You knew you had no time and where you lived BEFORE you got a pup........ and yet you chose to get a pup..........poor planning and a selfish uneducated owner.

My best advice is to stop being selfish and give up this pup to someone who can give it the time and training it needs which you can't.and do not get another one

• Jojo

So....You bought a puppy and keep it caged most of the day while you are at work. YOU live on the 28th floor of a building and now you are expecting to toilet train the pup!!!!! THAT is just complete ignorance on your part, and I suggest you take this unfortunate pup back to its breeder and if  you want a pet, get a Goldfish. No pup deserves to be caged and alone most of the day and in MY opinion to keep a pup in those conditions is really UNKIND. Just think of how this pup is going to feel by being caged and alone for hours on end. This sort of post is very upsetting to say the least. Jmo.

• Jojo
      1 month agoReport

Its an all too  familiar situation and its the pup that suffers in the end. I can only comment on what the OP  posts and just hope they got the pup from a reputable breeder.  

• Bort

I suggest consulting a vet or a professional dog trainer. I train dogs but I train them for service, police, and rescue so I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of situation. Of course I'm aware of how to potty train but the techniques I know of to do it with may not work very well in a situation like this on the 28th floor of a building. Sounds like you may already know of and are doing those techniques.

It may just take some more time, love, and patience until he learns the process. The usually potty training techniques which is scooping them up when they lift or squat to go and taking them outside....in this situation he'll be done by the time you get outside.

I'm definitely not a fan of putting a dog in a cage and leaving them there most of the day.

Anyway...

They do make puppy diapers. That may be of help teaching him how to hold it until he's outside and in an area where it's appropriate for him to let go of it as well as teach him how long it takes to get to that area so he learns how much of a warning he has to give you before he's taken out. Pads are an option too but your neighbors might not be happy with you doing that as I'm sure some of them aren't the happiest with the oopsies that have happened in the hallways because not everyone is a dog person and doesn't care to even try to understand.

• Bort
      1 month agoReport

Dog diapers do exist! And there are such things as toys for dogs, chew toys included which sometimes do keep them quiet. :P lol

Who in the world sold you a puppy when you live on the 28th floor of an apartment AND are working full time.   This isn't going to work - and forget about letting him use your balcony - your neighbours won't be amused!!

Crates were NOT intended to be used to keep a dog in 'most of the day'.   Puppies especially need to be able to run around so their joints, bone and muscles develop as they should - to say nothing of their mental well-being.  What you are doing is just cruel.   Crate abuse big time.

Puppies need to be able to be taken outside to empty, roughly every couple of hours at first when awake, and at least once overnight.

My advise would be to take this puppy straight back to whoever thought this life was going to be a good one for a puppy!!   Otherwise you'll have a puppy who will never be housetrained - and you'll be coming home to one upset puppy and a huge mess!!   To say nothing of neighbour complaints!

You should not keep a dog crated all day. Hire a dog walker, and take your dog to training classes so that you know how to train a pup.

• Trisha

As long as it's not cold outside.

Depends on the size of your dog.  I would hope you have a small dog living on the 28thfloor