Rik asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 month ago

How to extract polysaccharide content mixed in water?

Distillation process?

I want to extract the polysaccharide content from the plant Sphagnum moss. Sphagnum moss has a pectin-like polymer called the Sphagnan, which is a polysaccharide.

First, I will boil the sphagnum moss in water so that the sphagnan will come out and mix with the water.

Second, I need to extract the polysaccharide sphagnan from the water. I plan on using distillation process. However, I am not sure if it is effective. 

Please feel free to suggest!

• Mike A

I assume you mean to remove the water by evaporation or distillation to leave behind the water soluble part of the moss. Avoid too high a temperature by using an evaporating dish on a steam bath or by distilling off the water under reduced pressure. A rotary evaporator would be useful if you have one available. Last traces of water are best removed in a vacuum desiccator or similar so that you avoid overheating the residue and possibly decomposing the components.

Polysaccharides are solids, so they cannot be purified by distillation.  Making a suggestion requires knowing what else besides Sphagnan dissolves in the boiled water.

You should read the article in the source below, and then look for the article that is cited there:

Ballance, S., Borsheim, K.Y., Inngjerdingen, K., Paulsen, B.S. and Christensen, B.E. (2007) A re‐examination and partial characterisation of polysaccharides released by mild acid hydrolysis from the chlorite‐treated leaves of Sphagnum papillosum. Carbohydrate Polymers, volume 67, pp. 104–115.