My Daughter wants to move to me to Germany. She is 17 now. She lives in the States with her Dad. What do I have to do for her to be legal?

That depends on what your country of citizenship is. If you are a German national, she'll need a German passport from the German consulate in the United States. In order to get it, she'll need to prove that she's your biological daughter, and she'll also need the father's explicit consent for that. If you are "only" a US citizen and hold no citizenship to a EU-member country, it may be a bit difficult to pull this off.

As a minor child, who holds custody of the minor under the court order? If the father has legal custody, you must obtain a change in that court order before she can live with you. If the father agrees, petitioning the court for change of custody should be easy to do. No court order? Badly done, parent, failure to protect your child & her rights, and now you need that court order before she can leave US. She could turn 18 before you get that rigmarole handled.

Or else you wait until her 18th birthday. No custody issues over an adult-child over 18.

Are you a citizen of Germany, and were you at the time of your daughter's birth? Did you properly register her birth & get her German citizenship at that time? Get her a German passport? To live with you, she will need proof of her German citizenship, IF she has that. Otherwise, before she enters Germany, you will have to arrange for her visa or immigration, and that's going to be a complication and you probably need an immigration attorney's advice on how she can stay in Germany with you.

Of course, if she does not have any citizenship or basis to stay in Germany long-term with you, if she's fluent in German & accepted by a German university, she could apply for a student visa & go to school (also assuming you and/or father have the money to pay for this - and prove it so she qualifies for student visa). With a student visa, she can only remain in Germany as long as she is a full-time student making satisfactory progress toward her degree. She returns to her country of citizenship immediately upon completion or termination of full-time studies.

So there are a number of details we lack data for, and you are going to have to work out multiple issues before she can come to Germany.

• rebecca1 month agoReport

Im a german citizen, I was in the states as she was born, I just moved back to germany, cuz of family emergency, I have 75% custody of my daughter. I never got her, her german citizenship. My daughter going to graduate high school next year, by then she be 18. 

Are you living in Germany?

If so; what's your status there? (citizen, on a visa etc)

• rebecca1 month agoReport

I have 75% custody of my daughter. I was living in the States as she was born, I just moved back to German, because of Family Emergancy

• Maxi

You start with what nationality she is............. what nationality are you or are you resident in Germany on a visa?

If she is an EU national, then she gets a flight ticket and moves.... if she isn't then you have to apply for a dependant visa and that will only be valid until she is 18 and then she will have to return to the US, unless she then applie and gets a student visa which will allow her alittle more time while she studies, then she returns to the US

• PoBoy

Given that the worst president ever is in the WH my recommendation is move to Germany. If I had that option I’d certainly take it.

First question.

What is the Citizenship of Child. She could have more than one.

Did not ask how many passports they have.

Second Question

WHY are you allowed in Germany? A German Citizen maybe, some other European ?

German Immigration has a very easy to follow website for this. It is LONG take your time and follow the steps one at a time.

Main issues to PROVE she is your daughter and your Citizenship or situation in Germany.