Unhappy in marriage?

If you're in a marriage that is abusive and leaves you feeling unhappy, is it alright to spend some time meeting new people and getting a new perspective?

I'm not talking about dating women. But is it ok to make more female friends and just observe to see the differences in personality styles?

I'd like to think there are nicer people out there that would be interested in me and would never dream of swearing at me, calling me stupid, saying the relationship/marriage is s**** etc....

I've never been in any other relationship so I have no reference point to rely on. I've only ever known my wife as she was my first girlfriend.

If you believe its that abusive get out. Perspective is fine, but you already know this isn't right for you. Its not right to be check out the field before doing so. Get your freedom to be alone - not because you've already been looking for someone else. Give yourself time to find yourself so you can then find someone who suits the person you have grown into, and not the one that is just the one whose here now.

If you are in a marriage that is NOT abusive you would have friends of both sexes.  And your friends and her friends would be friends of both of you.  That is what provides you with other perspectives and helps you grow as a person.  In your case you are approaching it with the wrong reasons.  Be careful.