Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Should schools be allowed to exclude students from field trips?

I remember when me and 10 other students missed out on the 8th Grade field trip to the JASON Project in Dallas, TX.  The trip was on 3/3/99 but I got in trouble at school in late February and ended up in ISS (in-school suspension) for 3 days and because of that, it cost me the chance to make the field trip.  The suspension was not on the day of the trip; it was several days before it.  But because I got in trouble in general, I was not permitted to make the trip.  We were already advised that if we got in trouble we would not be permitted to make the field trip.  When the day came around, I remembered seeing some 200+ 8th graders and teachers getting on the buses to go to Dallas.  The 11 of us who saw them all leaving that morning felt miserable. I remembered asking my parents if I could just stay home that day.  They refused.  It felt very poignant seeing the classrooms in the 8th grade hallway dark and empty.  Those teachers and students were all on the trip to Dallas.  13-year-old me felt left out.  The only classroom that was not empty was Room 203--where me and the other 10 students who got in trouble were. The teacher was the only 8th grade teacher that didn't attend the trip I guess to watch us.  The ones that went on the field trip would be gone until about 6:30 that evening. We stayed on campus at Forest Park Middle School from 8:05am to 3:35pm.  The school didn't see it from our point of view (the 11 of us). Should they have thought about how we felt about it? 

It was a very poignant day.  I must admit that it hurt seeing so many empty classrooms in the 8th grade hallway. Ouch. It was quiet like a business that closed for the night. The school didn’t show any concern for the 11 of us.  Should schools exclude students from field trips?  Yes or No?  Should my parents have given me the day off since I couldn’t make the field trip?  All opinions are welcome.

Yes, they should. Life has consequences. Lesson learned.

They warned you. You screwed up. You got the consequences that were clearly laid out.

• xyzzy

They did think about how you felt about not going on the trip and from what you say your group felt badly and left out about not be allow to go which is what they were looking for. It is called punishment.

Or... View it from the school's point of view..  

If you got suspended, either you committed a very serious violation or you habitually get in trouble.

The school/teachers do not want to be responsible for a trouble-making student off school grounds.    Field trips are a privelege, not a right.

No, your parents shouldnt have kept you home either.

Its been over 20 years now..  Time to get over it and grow up

• I like your answer because it sounds just like my mom and dad because they didn’t tolerate BS either 

Yes. You said yourself that you were "advised that if [you] got in trouble [you] would not be permitted to make the field trip." Actions have consequences.

• BB

You made a bad decision and had to deal with the consequences.  A valuable lesson.

• John H

You aren't Donald Trump. You knew the rules. You made the choice to break them.

• helene

So how old are you now, 14?

It is a strong incentive not to get in trouble. Actions have consequences.