Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 6 months ago

Getting away from toxic family?

I’m 27 and I am finally getting away from my toxic family. I’ve been depressed, I’ve sat in the house for years, low self esteem and had nothing. 

And my family will be able to hold this against me. I’m happy now, will be successful and is moving to California

Now I’m worried that they will hold it against me. I was depressed and still depressed, but I have $30k in savings and I’m ready to live. 

My family will hold the fact that I was depressed and living in my mothers house. 

• dman63

Stop worrying about what they think and cut ‘em loose already.  It’s your life, not theirs.

Sounds like you're trying to make excuses not to get away. If you're family is toxic, they'll hold things against you regardless. Move away, get a job, make a friend or two, go to therapy, and you will be in a position to either ignore or deal with your family regardless of what they think. But, if you don't leave you have no one to blame but yourself. If you leave, you'll be okay.

• Foofa

One suspects that if you can figure out a way to live in the most expensive state in the country your family will come to respect you.