Why do some grocery stores hide some brands?

My local grocery store sells both coke and pepsi but hides the coke products and only brings them out when someone asks for them, is that a marketing strategy ?

I used to work in groceries stores years ago. Say the Coke guy wants to outsell the Pepsi guy. He'll buddy up to the store manager and slip him some dough if the manger will display the Coke products in a more prominent location near the front entrance while moving the Pepsi products towards the back next to the Drano. That stuff happens all the time.

• Erik

Whaddaya mean they "hide" them?  Like behind the store near the dumpsters?

• Judy

That sounds weird. Also VERY unlikely.

• Never
      1 month agoReport

Fabricated is the word you are looking for.

Most likely lazy staff, I'm not ashamed or proud of it but when I was a teenager I couldn't be bothered to look properly for when something wasn't out. One thing you can look for though, the oldest stock goes to the front so reach to the back for something fresh.

None do that. And coke would not sell to any store that would not give them shelf space. I have no idea why you are making crap up. Restaurants, yes all are usually coke or pepsi products, not both. I have never in my life heard of a grocery store only selling one or hiding one in the back. The labor involved would make it unprofitable...having to have someone go to the back for a fast selling product like coke.

I challenge you to name one store. And it will prove you to be a liar..

• Lili

Not that I've heard.  It doesn't make sense for a grocery, the owners of which should want to sell whatever products they've got and therefore should make it easy for the Coke lovers to find their preferred brand.

The only explanation is that the store -- or perhaps the chain it belongs to -- has some deal with or special connection to the corporation that makes and markets Pepsi.  

• roy1 month agoReport

It is very weird in fact. If they have a special contract or relation with pepsi they wouldn't have coke products at all, but they do, and it's very annoying because they're almost never refrigerated