USPS sent package to another distribution center?

Ok so I ordered a package that should have came today by now. It came from New Jersey and should be arriving in Long Island, NY. Now yesterday it arrived to METRO NY DISTRUBITION CENTER all day since 6:34 am. Usually this is how it is and it will go somewhere nearby to deliver to my house. However I got a notification it now in ROCHESTER NY DISTRUBITION CENTER. Why would it go all the way upstate if it was already nearby? Unless it's another location in long island? 

Still not sure how it can be arriving today if this is the case

It must have gotten into a wrong container and went out, the machine that sorts packages have different states sitting next to each other so it happens sometimes that it hops the barrier and goes out.

• Mamie

Sounds like your package missed a scan someplace along the way, or part of the label was covered by a different parcel and your label wasn't read properly.  Mistakes happen.  You'll get your package...it's not lost.  It's just not where you want it to be.  BTW, unless you paid for special handling of some kind, you won't get your parcel on Monday.  That's a federal holiday.

NOT a TRAVEL question.

• Camryn4 weeks agoReport

not my fault looks like yahoo chose for me lol

We have watched our parcels go all over the planet, it seems, as well.  At each center, they redistribute things into what to THEM makes for logical transportation to the final destination.  I have seen packages of mine that went HOURS past my home in opposite directions - but arrived here when then said they would.  If you think about how many things are sent/delivered every day, then you will see that the logistics to do that is somewhere just below sending a rocket to Mars.  Yes, there are services that will hand-carry from A to B for you - but the cost of having your ONE THING delivered that way is insane.