Did we finally create a utopian society in the 1950’s?

Or is nostalgia BS?

• Tim D
    Favorite Answer

Unless you were adult in the 1950s it is unlikely you were part of this "we".

• Typical Rob
      1 month agoReport

Not answering my question, that's what I like. 

I don't know. Who are 'we', and what country are you talking about? Certainly there was no 'Utopia' in the UK, but perhaps you know of some mysterious country where there was a Utopia? Do tell.

LOL...utopian? Letsee....women had little place in society, and were treated as much less than men. African Americans were being denied equal rights all across the South, and across much of the rest of the country, too. America was locked in a death grapple with the Soviet Union, each side threatening nuclear war. We were busy attacking each other over accusations of being 'pinko" and also if anyone was at all "different." We were chemically castrating gay men, and casually abusing gay women...

No, not real Utopian, was it?

dummycrats show your worlds utopia or go tu jail\

• we were style lynching people of color in the south

• Marli

Who are "we" in your question?  The people born between 1890 and 1930 (5 years difference each way) made the 1950s in America what they were.

For my parents' generation, who came of age during World War II, it was something like paradise to be rid of war (well, partially for the Americans) and depression and earn steady good wages. So it was nostalgic to recall those days. The race and crime problems were in the big cities.  They were bad.  Rebel Without a Cause is a 1950s movie, remember.

But the young people born during the war and up to 1954 were the rebellious teens and hippies of the 1960s. So the 50s child was not so happy.

America had an era of prosperity after WWII because all of the factories and infrastructure was destroyed in Europe and Japan. So, with all of our factories fully intact and running, we became the world's supplier of goods and services.

The end of WWII became a bonanza for American manufacturers and their employees.

So, yes, there was a great honeymoon period for the U.S. in the 50's and early 60's.

However, Europe and Japan were able to build up their factories, along with the emergence of China, and start to compete with America again, and the hineymoon was over.

Utopia? No. Era of financial prosperity? Yes.

Institutionalised racism and sexism, rampant organized crime,  poliomyelitis and  the iron lungs. The spectre of communism and the Korean war.

Yeah sounds utopian.

• Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Excellent.  you shouldn't do good answer anonymously..take credit 

• Mark

My parents would say it was a pretty good time to be young or to be old. Then the 60s came along and screwed everything up. I'll take their word for since they lived through both decades.

I suggest you look up the definition of utopia. I'll do it for you. An imagined place or state of things in which everything is perfect. In other words, a place that does not exist. At least that is the literal translation from the origins of the word which is Greek. As far as nostalgia goes at least back in the '50s a majority of people placed high-value on things like morality and character, being a good provider and parent as valuable personal characteristics that were held in esteem and high regard. You can't really say the same today. If you think that is BS, fine. Personally I kind of miss it.