jetman22 asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Get cats left rear leg amputated or put him down?

I rescue animals from my neighborhood. I have 3 dogs and 3 cats. I have a doggie door so all my pets come in and out as they please. One my cats(5 yr old male) had a fence accident. He is going to need an amputation. A strictly indoor cat arrangement doesn't work. Out of the 3 this cat is annoyed by the dogs more than the others. All my pets get along but this cat would rather not be around the dogs other than coming in for meals and an hour nap. Should I put him down? I am thinking maybe he will spend more time inside after the surgery. I am just concerned about his quality of life.

• Bort
    Favorite Answer

You may know better than anyone who can contribute an answer as to whether your local shelter will be of any help in this situation. I do know that in general and in most cases like this a shelter is most likely going to euthanize.

It doesn't seem like you're over crowded and you claim you're a "rescue"...this is what rescuing animals is all about...save him, don't kill him.

Cats are very tough creatures and many animals survive on 3 of 4 legs and live a completely normal, happy, life. They just need a little love and care during recovery.

You're say you're a "rescue"...so rescue him. Putting an animal down for the selfish reasons you stated the reasons you're considering doing that for is not at all rescuing them. It's selfish thinking of yourself, not the animal.

If all you're doing is feeding them and letting strays in your home that's not being a "rescue" it's just feeding strays.

Stop claiming you're rescuing animals if you're going to think about putting them down. That's not rescuing them.

• ?1 month agoReport

If its a choice between poor quality of life vs helping another cat I am going to help another cat. I did the necessary research and decided to go with the amputation. Tiger is in the back bedroom recovering. He must be doing well because he is scratching and meowing at the door trying to get out. 

I had a 3-legged cat (right front leg removed). She did just fine, ran around nearly as if she had 4 legs - we let her out in our back yard. She was a street cat, so only indoors was also not an option in our case.

My current kitty, not a dog lover, learned to adapt to my former landlord's dog, a huge, white German Shepherd. She liked to press down on his back and clean him, whether he wanted it or not. Also did this to the landlord's cat. They just put up with her.

It looks like you've had them for quite awhile, but if this cat gets along with the other kitties, just not the dogs, seems like it's worth keeping her.

Please don't put him down! At worst, get the amputation and find a family that will welcome him.

I had a very unlucky cat who actually got run over by a bush hog and lived to tell the tale.  He lost a rear leg at the hip as a result. He got by fine for five more years, though he was basically an inside cat.  They do adjust.

find a rescue to take it.  i car for a feral cat.  he hurt his leg once.  even on 3 legs he was able to run, jump down 4 feet into a crawl space under a building, and jump back up...i never got him to the vet because I couldn't catch him...it healed on its own in about 3 weeks...but predators could be an issue.

Put him down. Me Basset Hound puppy lost a leg. Euthanasia was cheaper than amputation.

• Ocimom

So you think that a 3 legged cat will survive long outside?  Sorry but the cat will be dead in a short time (lucky if he lasts a month outside).  Either amputate the leg and keep in INSIDE all the time, or put him down.

I would definitely amputate the leg rather than put him down. Cats can survive fine with 3 legs. I hope you go through with the surgery and don’t put him down.

So let’s say you got his leg amputated. If you cannot permanently keep him inside, I would keep him enclosed in a room, with a litter box, water, and food, until he is fully healed. Your vet will probably recommend this. (I once had an outdoor cat sick from an infected scratch, and I was asked to keep her in.(Yes, I know, it’s better to keep cats inside, but this cat has adopted us from an irresponsible owner and I understand some cats simply cannot be kept inside after raised indoor-outdoor for three years.) You should come inside frequently, but after a while you can let him back inside again. You mentioned that he is annoyed by dogs, but as long as they don’t attack him, he’ll be fine. It’s better than killing him.

• Luna1 month agoReport

I meant “back outside,” sorry.

• ?

It depends on you, really. Animals are remarkably adaptive, and cats can get around on 3 legs just fine, but he's going to need extra care and attention until he gets used to his new situation. If youre not willing to put the extra effort in to helping him adjust, it would be kinder to put him down

I just watched a report about how they're using 3D printers to custom make prosthetic legs for cats and dogs. And it's about 90% cheaper then prosthetic legs made with titanium

I've seen many dogs and cats get by with 3 legs. I think it would be a drastic decision to kill it because of a leg. I saw on YouTube the other day where a dog was paralysed in its two back legs so it's owners had special wheels made so it could go for walks outside. If you find it all to much, maybe give it to an animal shelter.