eTA with a Criminal record ?

Would they still give you a eTA to travel to Canada if you have a minor conviction?

So, I’m british and was advised to first apply to eTA before considering whenever or not I should apply to a full visa for those with a criminal record willing to travel to Canada (for June 2020 - if we decide to go)

4 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    It depends on the misdemeanor and how long ago it happened:

    Note that if you apply for an eTA and it is approved then you appear to be OK. 

    I believe you have to apply for a waiver rather than for a full tourist visa. 

    Finally, if you transit the USA to get to Canada you need an ESTA:

    The USA is not as restrictive as Canada and most misdemeanors are not disqualifying.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    I cannot answer for the Canadian High Commission, but they do ask if you have any convictions and what they are.  Nowhere is it specified what is "minor" but it is helpful that, unlike the American system, they DO ask what you did so they can make a decision whether you can travel with an eTA.  So you have he correct advice - try for an eTA, and you could be given it and not have to pay more for a visa.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    @ WT Door directs you correctly.

    The main issue is the law of Canada concerning your bad deed.

    Does Canadian law consider it minor or not.

    If not sure take a look for similar law in Canada Criminal Code the link is in the page from WT Door.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    Canada is very strict. I have even seen them deny entry to an American who had a parking ticket outstanding! And the ticket payment was not yet due! Any conviction is likely to prevent any visa. And minor convictions still need to be more than 8 years old before you can begin rehabilitation procedures to eventually get a visa.

    My guess is that it is not worth the cost of attempting to get an eTA to Canada. Vacation elsewhere.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.