Medical billing/ car insurance medpay?

So towards the end of 2018, I received treatment at a chiropractors office following an accident. I provided the office with all of the information needed to bill my car insurance medpay policy as well as my personal insurance. My personal insurance didn’t cover anything because I hadn’t met my deductible so everything should of went through the car insurance medpay. I was under the impression that the chiropractors office would of contacted the car insurance company to find out how much my medpay would cover and let me know when I was no longer covered and would be personally responsible for the services. On the date of my last visit, I ended up canceling once I was in the office because the clerk wasn’t sure at that time what my balance was or if my visit would even be covered. The chiropractors office contacted me to let me know that I owe nearly $600 for outstanding services and are ready to turn me into collections. Is this something they can do since they never informed me when I would be taking over responsibility for the billing and weren’t able to even tell me my balance at my last visit ? This was in Colorado too if that makes a difference. 

You were responsible from day one to make sure it's paid.. No matter who your insurance is.

They will 100% send your account to collections...and you are responsible for the payment to the chiropractor.  

Well, it doesn't work the way your impression thought it would work.  You are always responsible to the provider.  It's up to you to submit the bills to your car insurance company, to see what they will negotiate for you, and/or pay.  Anything that your car insurance won't pay, you have to pay.

It's not the responsibility of the chiropractor to manage your money or your car insurance claim. 

• Judy

That's not how it works.  It's YOUR responsibility to find out the coverage, not theirs.

You have to pay up.  Don't ever be "under the impression" without finding out for sure.