promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 3 months ago

Excel can’t open my file?

I’m trying to do homework on an excel spreadsheet. I emailed it to my professor but she said she could not open it & maybe to rename it. It says “Excel cannot open file .xlsx because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file. How do I fix it???

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Dick
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Try this... right click on the file name and then click on RENAME. The file name will become editable. Change the .xlsx to .xls and see if that allows it to open. Hit the ENTER key when you're done to close the file name editor. Hope this helps.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

What version of Office are you using? The xlsx files are a newer format that was introduced in Office 2000 and beyond (including Office 365). If you are running an earlier version of Office/Excel, you can not open the files.

Now the good news is that you can download the program OpenOffice. It is a "clone" of Excel that will open xlsx (and docx) files. You can then edit them in OpenOffice, or you can resave them in xls format and then use Excel.

• 3 months ago

Rename it to *.xls

• 3 months ago

Your professor may not have the latest version of Excel and you saved in a format not available. Save as "xls" or "csv".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.