Luna asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

My brother and sister cat are now hissing at each other after one is neutered. Why, and how can I stop it?

My cats are brother and sister and were very sweet together. They would groom each other and sleep together. They are 6 months old. I just took the male to get neutered, (I had to get them done, otherwise I would have inbred kittens) and ever since they have been hissing at each other. The female is not yet spayed because my vet is very busy and spaying is more complicated, and she also has to get her hernia done. (Getting spayed in 2 weeks) They have never disliked the vet and when there before were even purring. The hissing is usually started by female any time the male gets close. Overall, they just stay away from each other. The male usually walks away, but once he just stood there, confused, not aggressive, and the female bolted. Any idea why this is happening and how to stop it?

• PR
    Favorite Answer

When one cat in a household goes to the vet, he comes back smelling different than usual. He will carry scents from the vet that the home-bound cat didn't smell at the same time, so she thinks he might be a different cat, entirely, and is wary and suspicious of him.

Take a towel and wipe it over the female cat, then wipe it over the male cat. You might need to do this a couple times. You could also use a towel the female cat has been sleeping on and wipe over the male cat. 

If this doesn't work, consult with your vet for additional ideas, but it shouldn't last too long, especially if you give your boy kitty some of his "normal smell" so the female once again recognizes him.

The article below gives more details:

https://www.thesprucepets.com/cat-fights-after-vet...

• PAMELA

Get the female spayed as soon as possible, she may be in heat and the neutered male does not like the scent she is giving off.

• Maxi

I suspect it is nothing at all to do with the nuetering and more to do with them starting to mature and likely the male being away for a day and its smells of the vets

• Eva

I think it has to do with how the cat that was neutered smells. They smell different when they come back from the vets due to the antiseptics that were used. They'll sort it out eventually.

Because they are sexually maturing, that's why. Females are also more territorial than males. This may pass, it may not. They should have been fixed a lot earlier than now and usually, adopting two littermates is a bad idea all around.