Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

How to pull yourself together? *Clinical Depression*?

I've struggled with clinical depression for a long time and I can never find healthy ways to cope/pull myself out of that numb, tired feeling. Others who have clinical depression, how to you pick yourself back up when you're stuck in a low point? (I was on Zoloft and other medications for a while but have since been taken off of them. I am not currently on anti-depressants or mood stabilizers.)

• hart

watch your foot and drinks

The way to do this is to stay busy. You did not bring up whether you work or not. If you do not work, start by getting a job and building your resume up. If you have a job start doing some of the things that you enjoy such as hanging out with old friends go out and make new friends, go out and drink coffee alone. Unless you find activity and keep yourself busy you will never get better.

It’s good that you got off the Zoloft because believe me that will only make your problems worse. I know this from personal experience. And they did a study which showed that exercise is just as effective as Zoloft without any of the harmful side effects. Like exercise won’t make you hyper manic for example which would cause them to put you on another drug for that. That’s what happened to me. And the cascade of drugs that followed basically destroyed my health. So now I’m off all those drugs and I just go to the gym to try to salvage whatever I have left of my body and brain after all the damage.

You don't say anything about therapy or the variety of lifestyle choices that can make a difference. When I say lifestyle choices, I'm talking about the behavioral aspect of cognitive-behavioral therapy, the therapy used most often for depression.  

Of all the basic lifestyle choices, the one with the best evidence is exercise, and you don't have to be an athlete to benefit from it. Research shows that when people suffering from depression go for long walks with friends, this is very therapeutic (source - the lifestyle-depression project at the University of Kansas). Things that take your mind off your problems for a while, like a funny movie, are helpful, as long as you don't let them dominate you.

Of all the traditional Asian methods (meditation, tai chi, etc.) the one with the best evidence for helping people with mood problems is controlled breathing. I have information about therapeutic breathing recommended by psychiatrists Brown and Gerbarg and PTSD therapist Emma Seppala in my answers. This is safe and requires no training.

Details in this answer, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS -

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150... 

If you have trouble with motivation, there are some simple methods that can be very useful, in more ways than one.

This has been used in behavior modification programs since the 1930s. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Cleaning - start by cleaning for 3 or 4 min and take a 5 min break. In a little while, you'll be cleaning for a half hour or more.

A famous psychiatrist said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you to the bathroom for a shower, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes.

• Chanel

Medication can be trial and error until you get one that works for you.

Make sure that you eat healthily cos you feel better for having good food inside you.

You have solved your problem:  "I am not currently on anti-depressants or mood stabilizers."

The american Medical Association has claimed that depression is a disease and just like any other disease, it responds well to medications and therapy.  And like any other disease, it can be terminal if untreated or under treated.

You post is like saying, "How do you handle diabetes without taking your insulin or staying on your diet?"

You can't.

• LAN

You see a professional instead of mindlessly posting the same pity me questions here over and over.

You can do a lot to improve your situation by improving your nutrition.  That numb, tired feeling often is your body telling you there's something wrong, that it needs something.  I recommend you go to youtube and search for DR BERG DEPRESSION.  Watch his videos.  Take his advice.  Also you might try a nutritarian diet.  It's an improvement over all that fast food out there that we've been taught is "healthy".

Even though it's hard, I always MADE myself get up and go DO something productive or fun.   Mind over mood.

Therapy will teach you healthy coping skills. You can not treat depression with medication only. You need to be in therapy to find the root cause of your depression and learn how to handle it.