Porsh asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

Canada customs wants to burn my baggage. ?

I traveled to Africa brought in some dry meat and fish. According to customs the meat is not allowed in Canada. Due to this they are going to burn the whole baggage which includes my clothes, jewelry and other items. Are they allowed to do this?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Yes they can. In the U.S. they do the same thing. This due to the prospect of the meat and fish brining in diseases or certain parasites that can be a problem to the environment. 

In the future, don't bring such items. North America does not need such pests from other parts of the world.

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

yes, they are. that's why you should always check ahead of time what is and is not allowed back into the country.  

• 4 weeks ago

Sadly they are, if they feel like something has potentially contaminated the items in the bag , sadly even if it isn't and sounds so stupid they have to by protocol

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't believe this story at all

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JuanB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They normally just throw away the meat.  Makes your story doubtful but I can see them destroy the whole bag if there was any sign of contamination spreading through it.

Yes. They can do it.  But might not if you have say a disposable billion dollars to pay for the next foot and mouth disease outbreak.

• W.T. Door
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

To "throw out the meat" is not an option if they think it is monkey meat and is contaminated with a deadly disease. 

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Anything can happen when you're trolling

• 1 month ago

YES Canada Customs can in this case acting for Agriculture officials incinerate your contaminated luggage.

They can also give you a very large fine too.

Burning your jewellery??? Doubtful

Those items could be sterilized in most situations and returned to you. YOU would pay the costs of the cleaning.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's contraband and they can destroy it.

• 1 month ago

You have no defense, since they publish a list of forbidden items. You seem to be assuming that because the meat and fish were dried they could not be hazardous. Not true. Bacteria from the banned products could easily have spread to the contents of your luggage and the luggage itself. The purpose of the ban is to keep dangerous items from entering the country, and unfortunately, you have learned that the hard way. 

• 1 month ago

Of course they are allowed to that. Your lucky not to get a large fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.