sarah
sarah asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

Half of a tooth that formerly had a filling broke off. Now what?

So, when I got my braces off 10 years ago, the orthodontist accidentally pulled off a crown when removing the ring from one of my back teeth. Instead of keeping the crown so that I could take it to the dentist, HE THREW IT AWAY, and being the shy little 18-year-old pipsqueak that I was, I didn't raise the hell I should have. Without me being able to bring in the crown, the dentist was going to charge me for a replacement -- totally understandable, but I had no dental insurance

(and wasn't experiencing any pain or other issues as a result of the missing crown), so I didn't pursue treatment.

The filling in the tooth fell out about two years later, but I still never had any pain (or insurance). Fast forward to last night, and about half of the tooth broke off while I was chewing on a piece of ice. I'm still not in any pain, but is there anything that can or should be done to the remaining portion of the tooth? I know a crown probably wouldn't fit over it now, but could a dentist put in another filling?

ETA:  There's a little sliver of tooth left above the gum line, if that makes a difference.

Favorite Answer

Not to give you false hope, but a crown may totally be able to save the tooth. I had a molar with a cavity so deep I was certain it would have to be pulled but the dentist was able to save it! They drilled out so much that there was barely a tooth left but they covered it with a crown and we're still kicking! So I think you should visit your dentist and see what they're able to do for you. But shame on that orthodontist for throwing away that crown!! 

Now you have half a tooth.

• Eva

Unlikely that there's anything left to fill. You needed a crown years ago, so you probably still need one. Your only other option would be to have it pulled when it starts bothering you. Stop chewing ice.

• Silver

They might still put crowns in. My dentist shaved my teeth in the front down to almost nothing to fit my crowns in. But dude, go to the dentist.