A-theists why are you here?

But please in your answer - explain the VMAT2 gene if you believe you are a completely material organic being?

for entertainment purposes and passing time when bored 

- I'm here because 25 - 30 % of the questions are about atheism or directed to atheists.

And I'm just willing to help.

- I knew about the role of oxytocin hormone in religious practice, not about monoamines. Thank you for this information (however I'm not a biologist).

These neurotransmitters have been beneficial for millions of years in paleolithic family clans. Religious trances favored community feeling, clan bonding, solidarity, etc.

Religious clans were more likely to survive the harsh paleolithic challenges. 

That's why evolution selected the gene responsible for clan unity.

Since the neolithic (10,000 years ago) and the city-state type of organizations, societies don't need artificial bondings anymore, according to the disuse rule, the frequency of the now useless religious genes gradually decreases in the last generations.

Oxytocin recovers its natural original role in love, orgasm, and childbirth.

Exactly the same way the digestion of milk past adulthood has increased in the population since we started farming animals for diaries.

• Huh?

Atheists visit this site because they are interested in discussing religion & Spirituality topics, I am one that is interested in what you believe and why? The more important part of my curiosity is the why. 

As for the second part of your question, my atheism is not tied to an understanding of any gene or protein. I do know that VMAT2 gene creates a protein that assists in the functioning of some neurotransmitters. But for a full explanation you will need to ask a medical professional.  

I know that there is a nut-cake that has written a book about the gene to suggest it is involved in a person's spirituality, a nonsensical statement because it fails to define spirituality. The study has never been published in a peer reviewed scientific journal nor has any of the research been replicated. Therefore his book is no a reliable source so no explanation is necessary, it is bunk. 

• Jea

Because the truth is important to us.

I come here to dispel the lies of cult believers,

and provide the factual counterpoint to help 

dissuade people away from their cult fairy tales.

Plus, hundreds of questions are asked of atheists here every day.

• MARK

We are here to help guide you to the truth through rationality and reason.

The VMAT2 gene is not a god gene. Even if it were it may have evolved because it has a neutral effect. It may have evolved because it helped persist belief in myths over the long time when humans believed nothing else. It is NOT evidence that any deity exists!

• Mack

To answer sincere questions and point out trolls.  And as you are asking genetic biology questions in R&S, I guess I'll just point you out....

• Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

Hey there NGBF, no fair using the icons of your family members without their permission.

I'm here to píss off you and your kind.

Why would I care about the VMAT2 gene? I know I'm a completely material organism. Now please, explain the Planck number.

If one day anti-atheists aren't accusing atheists for thinking they own science, the anti-atheists are demanding atheists to be proficient in science.

• Rufus T. Firefly
      1 month agoReport

I blame "you know who" for opening the door to these rumors because of brazen report monkey rhetoric. It just opened the floodgates to this stuff. He refuses to see it because he's still doing it and he's going to catch another clone problem again and then months of-- well, rehash. Anyway.

Atheist run this place...

Don't ask them why they are here....they already know this.

Why are YOU here.

• Jea
      1 month agoReport

We are here, because the truth is important to us, if not to you.  And with all the lies you wrote this morning Wulf puppy, we know that you don't ever do that.