Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

Why do people believe veganism is the cure to everything?

I totally get that it can benefit some people, but on the 'net I've been seeing people say it cures cancer and it can cure type 1 diabetes, which obviously isn't true. Do they actually believe that or are they just trolls? 

• It certainly is, it will even cure you of life.You can even get osteoporosis, parchment skin and bad breath, even if you didn't want it. Your body was designed to eat meat not grass otherwise you would have teeth like a herbivore.

I would say that there's a good chance that they are just trolls who are pushing an agenda. A very liberal agenda, I might add.

I’m vegetarian but those that say that are zealots who are blinded by their ideology.

Because some people are willing to lie for a good cause and others are just dangerously ignorant of biology. I think most of the people who make these claims seriously believe them.

Don't get me wrong; I can give you a dozen pretty good reasons to stop eating meat. But it's not going to cure your cancer. A good diet and exercise may help reverse diabetes type 2 but not type 1.

• Wendigo
      1 month agoReport

That reversal however has been in many cases to be at best temporary.

Veganism is above all a choice made for ethic.

It often benefits people expecially those that suffer of obesity or cholesterol, but it's not the cure to everything.

It can't cures cancers, mental or genetical diseases. In some cases can prevent some illnesses but it doesn't cure them.

Because they are delusional. It's more of a morality mindset cult to control you. They all have a cult mindset and push it in everyone that "killing animals is wrong". They don't care if the diet works for you or not. As long as you praise animals above humans. They don't care if babies are dying from malnutrition. They refuse to accept your reason for leaving or stopping the diet. They'll just say "you did it wrong" or "you were never vegan". Just like a Christian would say "you were never saved by Jesus" lol it's absolutely the same. It's straight up dogmatic religious death cult. 

It's a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of people who believe that.

Most of those that do are simply young, immature children who don't know any betted (you know, like most of us used to believe in Santa?). The rest are simply stupid, gullible, misinformed people. 

I think probably the internet and especially social media is largely responsible for ridiculous ideas being spread and, unfortunately, believed by some foolish people who seem unable to think for themselves and often just wish these things were true.

Some people believe that “sugar causes diabetes” - you have an answer here from someone who thinks exercise and dietary changes can prevent or cure it. Others claim that, “meat causes cancer” - they can't understand the actual scientific claim that consuming a lot of certain types of meat seems to increase the incidence of certain types of cancer. Some believe that drinking alcohol causes alcoholism or that consuming alcohol is healthy. Some think that smoking is harmless but that it's cigarettes that causes harm. Apparently in America a sizeable number of people (small in terms of percentage but large in terms of number) believe the Earth is flat.

"Why do people believe veganism is the cure to everything?"

The reason why SOME people believe that becoming a vegan or following the strict vegetarian diet will cure/prevent everything, is that they have a high gullibility factor, and are open to crank/pseudo scientific claims. However not all who are vegan believe that, nor will they permit such claims to go without their debunking them. I've watched at least one vegan over the past few years, in this section debunk claims put out by other vegans. I've definitely come to respect her. However some are definitely trolls in this section.

However it can also go without saying that there's a plethora of those of  among us, whose diet as does mine, contains meat, that are very much the same, just they're on the flip side of the coin.They're either the type who believes basically science is wrong, and that the old wive's tales are valid and true, or come here to troll.

Any changed in your diet  and exercise can prevent or stop type 1 diabetes.  I don't believe fully giving up meat can prevent anything.  

• lo_mcg
      1 month agoReport

Exactly, Wendigo. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease. The reasons for autoimmune conditions are unknown, and there is no prevention or cure. Type 2 can be managed and controlled, but once developed cannot be cured.