Can I avoid circuit breaking of room by using a power strip with circuit breaker in it ? I am in a rented room..dont want my owner annoyed.?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Bort
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Yes and no. It probably will stop the room's breaker from tripping but it's not going to resolve the problem.

A circuit trips because something not right happened. The best thing to do, if possible, when a breaker is tripping often is split up the items you have plugged in to it to different power outlets. If you're running a bunch of stuff at the same time that's on the same cuircuit you're overloading it and that's why it's tripping the breaker.

If you can't split things up or all of the available outlets are on the same breaker anyway that's not going to help. If that's the case what you can do is simply not run as many things at the same time. That's what's overloading and tripping it is having too many things run simultaniously. Unplug or turn some of them off.

If you're not running a bunch of stuff at the same time it's possible the breaker isn't the proper amperage. You should be able to run a clock, a tv, a computer, a modem, and maybe another small appliance off of one breaker (20amp) without it tripping. If that's a similar scenario of gadgets you're running and it's tripping maybe it is that the breaker isn't the right amperage and it's not at all an annoying request to ask the owner to check in to it and upgrade the breaker to a 20amp if it's not a 20amp.

It's also not being a pain in their butt if you're not running too much stuff on one circuit to say "I don't mean to bother you but my power keeps cutting out. Can you please check in to it?".

It is a pain in the butt for them if you don't have access to the breaker to turn everything back on and have to bother them to do it. Asking to check in to it and upgrade the breaker if that's what the problem makes everyones life easier.

A regular outlet for tv's and lamps and things like that should not have more than a 20amp breaker. 20amp is usually what they have. if it's less than that, upgrade to a 20. They're super easy to change. Unscrew the screws, take it out, put the new one in, put the screws back in: done.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

I don't know why not. I don't know of any reasonable reason why any landlord would deny you the use of a power trip with a circuit breaker on it.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

no, everything before the power cord would still be vulnerable

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The wall plug you plug it into is on a circuit breaker. The only way to hide it from your owner is to plug the strip into a neighbors house.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Unlikely but possibly, if all the electric is pulled on one outlet or there was a short inside whatever you are plugging in (in which case you should replace the offending item, not get a circuit breaker), but more likely there is some other problem (with the outlet itself, or in the wall) and this will then do nothing.  

A 40 watt bulb (old type) pulls about 1/3 of an amp ( a TV pull .2 to .4 amps). Thus a 10 amp circuit would hold about 30 lamps, or 50 to 25 TV's before it gets overloaded.  So, unless you have some crazy amount of stuff plugged into the outlets, or are using something with a huge pull, or unless the problem is inside something you are using (like a short inside a lamp) and not with the houses wiring, then a circuit breaker probably won't help.

Also, if the problem is with the wiring of the house (probably in an outlet or in the breaker box itself) then this could be a fire hazard so you really should ahve it looked at by an electrician.

• 1 month ago

you can avoid it by not running too many electrical things on the same circuit.

• 1 month ago

Maybe, the power strip might have the same rating as the circuit breaker, the issue is what other devices are on that house circuit..

• 1 month ago

Yes...IF

- the power strip is the only thing connected to a wall socket

- the power strip circuit breaker rating is equal to or lower than the circuit breaker rating

- if the circuit breaker controls the sockets ***in your room only***

If

for example

you plug the TV in one wall socket

and the strip in another socket

then you will still be able to trip the circuit breaker

Consider also the possibility

that more than one room is on the same circuit breaker

(often the case)

In that case

a power strip will not prevent the breaker tripping

because your landlord might be using *nearly* enough current to trip the breaker

and so even a little used by you will trip it (no matter what)

• 1 month ago

No necessarily, but it will help.

• 1 month ago

No, the only way to avoid that is to not overload the amperage demand on that circuit. A power strip with a breaker isn't likely to do that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.