Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsVolleyball · 3 months ago

Can I join Volleyball? Is it too late? ?

I've always wanted to play volleyball since I was a little girl. Due to unfortunate circumstances, in middle school, I moved to a school that didn't offer it in middle or high school. I was sad. But I joined the marching band there. However, now I am 20 years old and I'm graduating from a community college (also did not offer volleyball) and have an opportunity to go to University in the future, I'll be moving in 6 months and living with a relative in a different state, and I'm fairly certain there is volleyball at this university. I was cursed with an unfortunate height of 5'2 (which is why I couldn't do basketball) and since I'm not active, especially after graduation, I have put on weight-- But I know if I tried, I could easily get into shape and shed it off. I have actually been working on my cardio recently and running a lot more and I've seen improvement, but I could definitely do better. Despite these things, I still have a strong drive in my heart that always points me to volleyball. Could I do it still? Where do I start? How? If not though, I understand, but I guess I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask and I appreciate your time so much!! Thank you!

• Kent L

You might start by checking if the University offers any volleyball classes, either through a PE/Kinesiology department or through a University recreation center. Learning fundamental skills and rules is a good way to start playing the sport and would allow you to make friends with others who are interested in playing.

Due to height you'd likely be a libero, but need to work on your conditioning

+ familiarity with the sport to make it happen. Never too late to play it or any

other sport for fun. See if the school you're going to has intermural leagues.

• DEBS

I started playing volleyball in my mid-20s. I know people that didn't start until their 30s or later. Most cities have some sort of league which includes beginners. I would look it up and go hang out there a bit. Talk to people. See if there are any pick-up games you can join. If you're athletic and pick up sports fairly quickly it won't be a problem.

• Rick

all you can do is TRY !!!!  .........................