Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 3 months ago

What is the point of buying uhd 4k tv when so many channels will simply not send any kind of hd resolution?

It's 2020 and only tiny fraction channels offer hd transmission, let alone uhd. My money appears to have been wasted

I have subscribed to Netflix and it's much clearer picture there. 

But things like live news, weather, documentaries, etc etc are poor resolution. 

I buy physical discs for movies/ shows I REALLY like

I have no idea what services you are using, but essentially every TV channel that anyone would know broadcasts/transmits in HD. I would agree that 4K may be limited, but to say that HD is only on a tiny fraction of channels is simply wrong.

Well if you only use your traditional TV service and they don't offer/have UHD channels, then you won't get 4K service. But as you should be aware, there are movies in 4K that you can buy as long as you have a compatible Blu-Ray player to display in 4K resolution. You're not just limited to what your TV provider offers.

Get a UHD disk player if you want to see what that TV can do.

• P

It's 2020 most people have a Roku or Apple TV setup where they do the majority of their tv watching.  The majority of content (including the free content) is in at least full HD on those devices.  If you don't watch tv like most people then perhaps you have wasted a little money.  Regardless, considering how cheap 4k tv's are at least you have the option to switch to a better viewing experience if you want to join the rest of us.  

• DCM5150

"most people have a Roku or Apple TV" - simply wrong. While Roku is certainly the largest streaming service, they don't have anywhere near 50% of the households even if you add in Apple

Buy an Xbox one x.

• Rick

just read an article that said don't get an 8K TV, as the 4K will do 'bout the same.

It’s worth it just for the streaming services alone... and the Nat Geo channel... so pretty