BoiBoi800 asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Do people eat out of boredom? ?

All my brother ever do is play games 24/7 and eat every few hours he eats all the food like really it only takes 1 or 2 weeks for him to eat all the groceries then we will starve for a few weeks until our checks comes at the end of the moth to buy groceries again. I really think he just has nothing to do we so are so poor can berly buy groceries  or anything so I try to only eat once or twice a week to save money but nope he dont care and do the same thing I'm so poor all the time it seems he dont care at all. 

It's time for the family to crack down on this. Sell whatever gaming platforms he uses as a start. If he's going to jeopardize a month's worth of nutrition and meals due to his own boredom he doesn't deserve to have such luxuries.

What kind of food do you buy? If you eat a diet heavy in processed foods is it possible to switch to a diet consisting largely of fresh produce and meals that must be prepared and cooked daily? This can greatly discourage snacking, as people quickly learn that beggars can't be choosers and if that carrot or broccoli doesn't sound good right now, I just must not be hungry.

To more specifically answer your question, yes, it's not uncommon for food to become a background activity to stave off boredom. If he's come to associate sitting down and playing video games or watching TV with eating, it can be difficult to break that association and it may be time to implement rules about when and where it is and is not appropriate to eat. It's also not uncommon for people to use food as a self-soothing mechanism to deal with stress.

amzing that till her...I see you must,nt be awful,go some times you are a toleration,and next that one, is and will bealarmed of your comment and the meaning of it very fast,collapse him and don,t tell by words!

• Eva

Use food pantries to extend your food. Why is your brother not out finding a job or in school? Don't buy all your groceries at once if that's the way he is. Go shopping each week instead and fill in with things from a food pantry. Search online for ones in your area.

• k w

Food ? real food ? or junk food ?

• k w
      1 month agoReport

all? maybe you/he will cut back after reading this....maybe not....I understand being addicted....

• Robert

If you're poor, sell his gaming system and enjoy an expensive steak.

• Satan

Yeah, people eat out of boredom - people do a lot of things when they're bored; eat, drink, masturbate,  self harm, exercise, to name but a few

• BoiBoi8001 month agoReport

Well exercise is the only good thing