Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Why do people think they can bully disabled people just for asking a question?

Why do people think they can bully disabled people for asking a question?

I am about to purchase a wireless keyboard for my laptop because the built in one isn’t working properly - I am a disabled person I don’t like being misled so did what I thought was the sensible thing and asked on amazon before buying the keyboard… the following is the nasty reply I received

"I’d imagine given the product description says Mac compatible, and there is a picture of a Mac too, that yes it is. As an aside, have you considered buying a replacement keyboard off eBay and asking a local pc repair shop to install it for you?"

isn't that disgustingly patronising?

here's my reply... "Firstly, you needn't be so rude and condescending. I just asked a question, last time I checked that was not considered a criminal act! I am thoroughly over people patronising people who have disabilities, and acting as though trying to achieve anything as such a person is a criminal offence. Secondly I do not want to purchase a lemon, hence the question."

My Macbook is 5 years old so I doubt apple would fix it now...

• Foofa

Your life will be much easier of you knock that chip off your shouldn't and stop looking for reasons to be insulted.

they were just trying to help

• Cogito

How would they even know that you're disabled and what has that got to do with anything?

That's NOT bullying.

You asked a really stupid question and they gave an answer.  As they said, if the product description says Mac compatible and there was a picture of a Mac, isn't it blindingly obvious?

How horrible that must have been for you.  I mean when you tell people you are disabled, you expect special treatment and when they don't offer it, it must be pure ire.  The guy may have thought he was offering prudent advice, but in reality he was sending you through the 9th circle of hell.  Had he been reasonable he would have treated you with kid gloves and said yes to every question you asked.  

• Cogito
      1 month agoReport

LOL!

• Jolene

How would the person who responded know you were disabled? Their comment doesn't even reference that. They were patronizing you because of an apparently idiotic question, not because you are disabled.

• Jolene
      1 month agoReport

They way I see it, they were NOT bullying you because you are disabled. That had nothing to do with it. It seems that you asked a stupid question, and they responded accordingly.