How do I understand the domain [-pi, pi) in terms of a graph? For questions such as 2sin^2x=-sinx. What quadrants are [-pi,pi)?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Dixon
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

In terms of sketching 2sin^2x and -sinx on a graph, -π and π are values on the x axis and thus the origin would be in the middle of the page with -π on the left and π on the right

I think you are mixing up the trigonometry angle reference quadrants (unit line rotation about the origin) with the four quadrants on your graph of 2sin^2x and -sinx.

Typically, questions like this have infinite solutions that repeat every 2π radians (ie 360°), so it is normal to restrict the solutions to one span of 2π, either by going from 0 to 2π, or in this case -π to π. 

In terms of the trig quadrants this means the first and last quadrant, ie either side of the zero reference line. . 

• Dixon
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Correction as spotted by az_lender; it covers all four trig quadrants.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Dixon's answer is mostly good, but the interval [-pi,pi) includes all four quadrants, not just the first and the last.

As he said, "quadrants" are kind of irrelevant to graphing y = 2*sin^2(x) or y = -sin(x).

If you are to find x values where 2*sin^2(x) = -sin(x), you have

an obvious solution if sin(x) = 0, and in that case, the x values in [-pi,pi) are x = -pi and x = 0.  If sin(x) is NOT zero, then you have 2 sin(x) = -1, so sin(x) = -1/2 and the x-values in [-pi,pi) are x = -5pi/6 and x = -pi/6.

• Dixon
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Oh yes! I'm more of a Tau guy for exactly avoiding silly mistakes like this

• david
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Domain -- possible values for the x variable ===  tells NOTHING about the y variable === that is called the range

[-pi, pi)  <<<  think numbers  ===  -3.14159 will be on the NEGATIVE X AXIS ... the graph might be in the 3nd or 3rd quadrants .. you do not know without knowing y values also.  ----  Pi is +3.14159 ... located on the positive x axis, again without y values you do not know what quadrant .. could be either quad 1 or quad 4

.....  remember domain only tells you about possible x values ... but a graph must have both x and y values.

simple trig graphs  like y = sin x  --- this will actually have parts of the graph in all 4 quadrants ...  you should learn this from studying trig.  the domain is -infinity to + infinity .... but the range is only from -1 to +1  ...  I know this from studying trig ... some things in math are NOT calculated, to know them you just study and memorize them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.