Why do people think I ignore them on purpose at work?

I work at McDonald's. On multiple occasions, an hourly manager at work called my name multiple times and I never answered. Why? Because I didn't hear her. She never believed me when I said I didn't hear her. Well, I was doing something else. She called for me 5 times? ok well I didn't hear her any of those times.

She's not the only one. The GM sometimes tell me to do something 3 or 4 times b4 I hear him. He doesn't accuse me of ignoring him. Yet, she says I never listen and ignore the hell out of her. If I'm getting something done, I'm focusing on it. How can anyone expect me to hear anything more than few feet away?

Outside work: I could be getting out of a friend's car when they drop me off somewhere (like work) and as I get out, she be yelling my name but I wouldn't hear a thing. Then she be so damn offended. Well I was already several feet away

Sounds like you need to get your hearing checked, if multiple people are having this problem with you! Genuinely not trying to be snarky either.

You either are in your own Zone and have created a bubble around yourself or you are hard of hearing. When more than one person tells you that you are not listening or cannot hear them, then this is your problem not theirs.

In much as I do understand you are trying to focus on your tasks, zoning out all noises when you are supposed to be a team member is frustrating to your coworkers. If you are unable to work and listen to instructions at the same time, perhaps working in a fast food restaurant is not a good idea.

• Raven

I am partially deaf in my right ear and there is nothing I despise more than people whispering to me 2 feet from where I'm standing and expecting I can hear them. I've told nearly every co-worker they will have to shout at me if it is a busy day and if they want me to hear them. Struggling to listen to soft- spoken voices is a huge struggle for me, that mostly leaves me exhausted and begging for my break. Please: Either shout at me in loud environments or talk into my left ear. 

Really something must be wrong with your hearing if everyone says the same thing. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

• John

Im not your manager but its because you do. Part of your job is being responsive to people around you and when your not listening because your 'busy' your not concentrating on your job.

That was easy wasn't it.

But your lazy too and solving your own problems is too much work isn't it? Oh you have to think?

Have you thought of a hearing aide? You know that "proves" you didn't hear don't you?

maybe you should get your hearing checked

You have described three different settings in which you routinely 'don't hear' someone calling your name repeatedly. If it was just one ... but it's three.

Please go and get your hearing checked.

I agree with the others. you should get your hearing tested

Because you can't multi-task.  Most people can do more than one thing at a time, you apparently can't.  While some would suggest this is a particular bad thing, or even a handicap, I don't.  Someone with your focus can be a great asset in certain jobs.  The type that allow you to work alone, not as part of a team.  This asset can be a handicap in interpersonal relationships, but if those around you know your abilities and limitations it shouldn't be problem.

Ask them to slap you real hard in the face before they speak to you. That way, you know to pay attention.

Source(s): Mr. Boddington's Etiquette: Charm and Civility for Every Occasion