Why do they have uniforms in juvenile detention?

I was there for just 3 days and had to wear the JDC uniform. It was kinda embarrassing when I put it on for the first time in my life and stand at attention and shout "ma'am yes ma'am." I felt like I was a real inmate.

I guess same reason jails and prisons do. I've been there. When you're in there you are an inmate.

• Bruce

Several reasons. The two most common are street clothes can include shoe laces, belts, and other things that can be used for weapons. Street clothes can also display gang symbols. 

• mokrie

You WERE a real inmate. DUH..

• David

It helps to instill discipline.  You were not alone at juvie.  If all the other kids were allowed to wear what they want, it would make some feel arrogant, and more bullying would happen.  If you are all wearing the exact same uniform (that's why they call it "uniform") then you all are at the same level, and it's harder to bully or take advantage of someone if you perceive them to be at the same level.  Ironically, this policy is for YOUR OWN comfort.  It has many benefits to the juvenile detention center also.  Wearing uniforms, the kids are better behaved.  Fewer "incidents" means less paperwork, less overtime pay for staff...

And lower insurance rates.