anon asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is this considered stealing/ theft?

I live in an apartment building, and sometimes people leave furniture out on the front lawn (which growing up I was told they dumped it and want someone to take it off their hands ). Well, I went into the apartment BASEMENT to do laundry. Everyone in the building has assigned, locked storage in the basement , and I found a small bookshelf set in the middle of the room , not located near anyone’s storage space....

I think you all know where I’m going with this.

Is it free to take ? Did someone discard it there or just got too lazy to stick it in storage ? 

• Cara
    Favorite Answer

Why don't you stick a note on the bookshelf saying that you would like to have it if it's not wanted and asking the owner to get in touch?

i would ask the people in your building first

From the information it sounds like it would be theft. Unless people are in the habit of dumping unwanted articles in the basement, you don't really have a defence that it is reasonable to suppose it was discarded. I furnished an entire apartment with scavenged items but have always been careful to only take stuff that was unquestionably dumped.

If the bookshelf has been left unattended for several weeks, chances are the item is not wanted.  However, if you do not know how long the bookshelf has been sitting in the basement, you need to decide if taking the item falls into your definition of theft.  If the situation was reversed and you had forgotten your piece of furniture, would you want someone to take it?

No it is not “free to take”

Someone got lazy & forgot to lock it up.

Taking it makes that person a thief.

Security cameras will see any thief stealing.

If not in the basement in other areas.

Anyone taking others property without their consent is stealing.

Leave it alone unless there’s a note near it.

I would have left it alone unless there was some sort of note attached or it had been there for a long time.

• anon1 month agoReport

I haven’t taken it .... so I suppose just wait and see if someone moves it to storage , if not , take it ?