owing child support and denying a u.s. passport question?

i understand if you owe more than $2,500 in child support you won't be able to get or renew a u.s. passport. but what if the parent holds dual citizenship from another country? lets say mexico for example. can tthat parent still get a passport through the mexican consulate or embassy in the united states to travel abroad?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If it's possible to be a dual citizen like that, I'm not saying it isn't possible I don't know for sure, neither country can stop a citizen from freely entering and/or visiting their own country. The thing is that there are checks at the border. I've been through them as a truck driver and most of the time they're not as secure as you would like them to be the guards just ask simple questions and let you go on your way but there are times they ask for ID and other info such as when they're looking for someone or something they suspect might be rolling through.

If a person is behind that much on child support it's very likely that there is a warrant out for their arrest. At any time their ID is looked in to that warrant is going to show up and they're going to be taken in to custody. Another thing a lot of states do with child support that far behind is they suspend the persons drivers license so they cannot legally drive which also aids in their capture.

A person that far behind on child support payments isn't going to get very far for very long unless they keep them selves out of the light and only do work they're paid under the table or cash for. They're going to get picked up and placed in custody if they would call any offiec affiliated with traveling in or out of the country and those kinds of offices deal with that all of the time. They're going to lure the person in with some excuse that convinces them they have to go somewhere in person so they can be captured.

They're not going to get a passport no matter what they do. Legally anyway. I'm sure (and honestly I've met) some people that bounce between the US and Mexico or Canada illegally. Whether you see this news as good or bad the people that do it illegally are usually, eventually, caught.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

YES a Citizen of Mexico can go through the normal method of getting their Mexican Passport. Information is on the Embassy website on how it is done.

The fingers of lawyers have long arms to reach into pockets a long distance away.

That part is it's own complicated situation

• 1 month ago

Yes, you can still get a passport from the other citizenship.

But as a US citizen you're legally required to enter the US on your US passport; so returning could be an issue.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

US law REQUIRES US citizens to enter the US using their US passport............ so dead beats who do not pay their child support would also be prepared to break the law about entering on another passport and that will flag them up  as a visitor and of course the US can refuse them entry..........a visa is required for any Mexican citizen visiting the United States and of course they can't get a visa as they are a US citizen....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

US citizens are supposed to use their US passports when traveling. But just in terms of being a decent person...pay your child what you owe it. Looking for loopholes that allow you to continue being a deadbeat isn't something any parent should be proud of. 

• 1 month ago

All US citizens can only enter/exit US on US passport. Penalties apply for failure to do so. So you still need your US passport, even if you also hold citizenship in another country & that country's passport. Pay your child support!

• 1 month ago

Yes, they can still get a Mexican passport.  However, they cannot use the Mexican passport to enter the USA.  Also, entering the USA with a driving license and birth certificate ended in 2009. 

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

US citizens by law must enter and exit the US with a US passport.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

EDIT:  OH, this one of those "asking for a friend" posts....that are never actually asking for a friend but themselves.  Nobody believes you, and even if you were telling the truth?  That's even WORSE.  Because if that's your ex brother in law, it means the single mother you're trying to f*ck over is your own sister.

F*ck you

So in other words, you're asking how does a deadbeat POS neglectful father circumvent justice? 

I'd much rather give you a bat to the head, than an answer for your question. 

• Enrique1 month agoReport

you are ignorant. i'm asking this question because my ex brother in law is a mexican national but he is also a us citizen. too quick to judge

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.