BOOM
Lv 5
BOOM asked in SportsBaseball · 1 month ago

Were the Astros' punishments too little or too much?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Gregg
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

MLB should have removed their World Series trophies.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 weeks ago

What the league did to the Asterisks was more or less appropriate.  There should have been some player suspensions, but from what I've been lead to understand, the players were granted immunity in exchange for their cooperation, so I'm OK with that.

If there were any other punishments to be meted out, I might have had them forfeit their international pool money for the next 3 seasons.

I will say that MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred showed a lot more gumption, backbone and integrity in dealing with the Asterisks than the Clown Prince Roger Goodell did in his numerous opportunities dealing with the cheating ways of Robert Kraft and the New England Patriots.

• 3 weeks ago

It's a tough call since the situation is complicated and still hard to take in no matter who you root for. It's still tougher than what the Patriots got in 2007.

• 3 weeks ago

A gross over reaction. Sign stealing is, and always has been, part of the game.

• Gregg
      Lv 6
      2 weeks agoReport

So you approved of the camera in centerfield, the bangng of trash cans, the whistling manager, 
      and Altuve wearing electronc gear, etc.  Next time, please ask the pitcher what kind of pitch he's throwing next.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • If you're not going to vacate their championships but want to punish them, here's what you could do:

1) Removal of all 1st and 2nd round draft picks for the next 3 seasons

2) Cannot sign free agents but can re-sign players in their own organisation for the next 3 seasons

3) $50mm fine

4) Forfeiture of national TV rights revenues for 3 seasons

5) Automatic loss of home field advantage for any and all playoff series (including World Series) for 10 years (regardless of All Star Game outcome or team record) or two playoff series (which ever happens last).

• 1 month ago

The Astros began cheating to steal signs in 2017 and doing so gave them a huge disadvantage over their opponents, right? That's what everyone is whining about, isn't it?

So explain this: In 2017 Houston won 48 games at home and scored 395 runs. But they won 53 road games while scoring 501 runs.

In 2018 they won 46 home games vs. 57 road games and scored 51 more runs when they were the visiting team.

The only year they were better at home was last year with 13 more home wins and 58 more runs scored at home.

Still, for the 3 years total they've had better road numbers than home numbers.

The fact is that Houston is a good team. The stinking crybabies need to accept it and STFU.

• I'll bet you're a Patriots fan as well, aren't you, @$$h0!e?

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Neither one. It was appropriate.

• 1 month ago

For once I think MLB got it spot in. Manfred did a good job here. The idea that they should forfeit titles is bizarre and meaningless. 

• Manfred did a better job dealing with the Asterisks than the Village Idiot Roger Goodell did with the cheating Patriots.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think MLB got it right 

• 1 month ago

Lance Armstrong got his cycling titles revoked.  Ben Johnson lost his gold medal.  Why are they allowed to keep their World Series Title?  There's so much money involved that the fines are meaningless.  Too little.

• ...Show all comments
    • megalomaniac
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Taking away a cheater's title isn't the only thing that should be done but it should at least be the starting point.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.