Christi asked in PetsDogs · 3 months ago

How do I prevent my dog from doing this?

I recently rescued a male dog from off the street. He has a weird problem that I don't know how to solve. Granted, he is the first male dog I've ever had so I don't know if this is normal or not. When he goes to the bathroom, urine gets all over his front leg. I can't give him a bath every time he does this, so I don't know what to do. I love this new little dog and I don't want to get rid of him. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to stop this? Is there anything I could purchase to put on his legs so he stays clean? Thanks!

Tell him he has to lift his leg.

• Bort

How old is he? If he's a puppy he needs to be around other older dogs so he can learn how to leak without going on him self. It surely makes him uncomfortable as it would for anyone else but if he's a puppy he doesn't know any different. He just pees and because he doesn't know how to aim because he hasn't been shown or learned the idea from watching his siblings and parents and other older dogs he has no idea.

If he's an older dog this may be a bit more difficult to help him with. In my years of dog training I've never actually had someone need me to help with this specific problem however how I would help the dog is I would first train him to stand up on command so I can make him stand when he starts to go, then I would lift his leg for him and give a positive cheer reaction after the water werks finished.

Dogs learn by repetitiveness and positive recognition (awards or rewards which can simply be cheering and love, petting, hugging, applause...doesn't have to be a treat!). He will eventually learn to lean and lift when he leaks if you show him how to do that if there aren't any other male dogs around for him to learn from or he doesn't start grasping the idea from other dogs he's able to be around.

Our pets are our children. They don't know what we don't teach them.

• Raven

Our whippet did this his entire life. We invested in baby wipes and paper towels, and every time he came inside, his front legs would get a wipe-down.

• E. H. Amos

Basic common sense, so lacking these days......

I see that this is also become good,consult witha physician,bye

I'm not sure there is much to be done about this - my neighbour's male Whippets would have this problem.   I put it down to CONSTRUCTION - normally arched back in the Whippet.    If that's a Beagle, his construction shouldn't cause this.

You'd not need to be giving him a full bath - just cleaning up the leg(s) he hits.

• Jojo

If he is a very young dog or quite a submissive natured dog he may not be lifting his back leg high enough to avoid peeing on his front leg.As he matures this issue may solve itself.

You may find some help and tips on this , on these sites: https://www.google.com/search?q=my+dog+pees+all+ov...

I think the best way to go about this is to physically gently maneuver his leg when hes peeing to where hes not peeing on his leg and give him a treat when you do so. Slowly hopefully after giving him a treat and moving his leg her will learn to pee with his leg out of the way.