Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

Should I reschedule my wisdom teeth extraction if I have a clogged nose?

More context. They're sedating me for it. It's scheduled for tomorrow at noon, presently I'm trying to sleep but can't because my nose is totally clogged. I'm only able to breathe through my mouth. I'm not sick, it's just allergies/weather (it went back and forth from cold and hot all week). All the same, I don't see my condition getting much better by tomorrow. I'm assuming that will cause issues. Should I reschedule? Also, how should I do it on such short notice? I hate to do that!

I wanted to take a Benadryl but I'm not supposed to eat/drink anything

• Tavy
    Favorite Answer

Use a Nasal Spray.

Simple.

No-

Here's the thing you don't seem to understand about surgery, its that when any GA is applied, that person is put on life support that does the breathing for them. This is done because GA actually stops a person from breathing on their own, so a machine is used instead.

You having a clogged nose means nothing, because you won't have to breathe during surgery, I really feel you are trying to weasel your way out of surgery out of a sense of fear, which is actually totally undersandable, nobody likes surgery.

You should cancel at this time. Your nasal drainage can actually drain into your mouth because of the way our sinuses are. If you have any bacteria present in your nasal drainage, you don't want that going into your mouth post-surgery and possibly causing an infection of the surgical site. It's probably just allergies, but you never know. Trust me, I've had my wisdom teeth removed and you aren't going to want to have difficulties breathing during that time. You'll be miserable because of the pain from the extraction.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.
    • James Blackley
      1 month agoReport

He's going to be knocked out, they use breathing machines during surgery... he's fine.

If it's just allergies, you could try taking a benadryl or some other allergy mediation. If you do end up canceling, I would leave a message now, then call back and actually speak to someone as soon as the office is open.