Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 3 months ago

Should you kiss/show affection in front of step kids? (Ages 3-6) ?

I only kiss my husband on cheek and forehead and hug him in of them. I don’t think my husband is comfortable with the idea of them watching us kiss on the lips. I’m not really either. So should I just keep kissing my husband on cheek and forehead instead of lips? 

• Foofa

The three year-old doesn't have much context for this but the older kid might remember his parents as a couple and depending on how the breakup was handled may have a bad reaction to PDA between you and your spouse. You're married to this guy so ask him how he feels about it. But kissing of any kind isn't necessary in front of the kids so maybe just save it for when you two are alone.

• RP

What's wrong with a show of love, manifested by a kiss on the lips, for small children? Re-think this and set a good example for these children who are at an age where they will benefit from the good example you and your spouse display.

• kristy

Do whatever you want

• David

Children learn appropriate behavior from the adults that are in their lives...especially their father and mother.  It is not "normal" for a married couple to feel shy about showing affection to each other.  Especially if they are in their home environment.  While I don't think you are really harming the kids by confining kisses to cheek and forehead...

You are sending kind of a strange message to the children about how married couples should show affection to each other.

Imagine one of them grows up, falls in love around age 15 and on the first date, he's inclined to...kiss her on the forehead.  (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)  Somehow, I don't think he'll get a second date...

Exactly what are you teaching your kids about how to relate to someone you love? Let them know that you love and want him in no uncertain terms. Give them other information and they will tell mom who will fabricate fables about your relationship.

Either place is fine in my opinion. It lets your kids know you are happy.

It depends. If they just met you last month and they've only known their bio Mommy to kiss Daddy or are struggling with a new woman on Mommy's guy aka heir Daddy, give it a sec. If its just about is it kosherb to show affection, YES! Showing a loving relationship and affection is awesome! Although they may say ewwww, gross, inside and subconsciously, it helps kids feel secure and gives them an awesome role model that shows how love should look like(respect, reciprocation, and consideration) what it should not look like(not void of affection, not ignoring the others needs, not enjoying each other, etc). Now, making out aka tongue in mouth or long kiss that would have gotten u whacked with a ruler across the back of your love-sick heads, no, dont do that. Why? Thats like taking them behind the scenes and even magicians don't show u how they made the rabbit come out of the empty hat. Adults dont want to see other adults have PDA unless they're about to get some too!