Car loan down payment question?

I went to the dealer with a 15k down payment but the car salesman told me I had to take out a loan for the full purchase price of the car and then give my down payment to the bank because that's how down payments work. I told him I was trying to give my down payment ahead so I would have to borrow less money but he said I couldn't. I walked away because in the end the numbers didnt add up 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Poppy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You must do math funny, I digress. The total is still the same. Tax, title and license also get added in on top.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You did the right thing and he is riding his thumb now.

AND " YOU DON'T CARE ".  It was like you were dangling "some" money in his face so he was salivating, and then you walked away.     Such a TEASE.

• 1 month ago

Yeah, no, that didn't happen. Thanks for trolling, though. 

Source(s): 20 years retail auto sales experience.
    • ElGrande
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Yeah, unless it was that sales guy's first day... the story is BS. 

• lj1
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You did the right thing by walking away. The salesman was full of it. Dealerships get kickbacks from the bank if you let them handle the financing. 

You're better off getting financing on your own. That way, you can shop around, and get the best possible interest rate. Of course, it's always best if you can pay cash for the car, but securing financing on your own is the next best thing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

He lied. Arrange financing on your own from a credit union or bank.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Walking away was sensible. He's clueless.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.