Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Dinner with Catholic religious family?

What's the etiquette when I eat with a religious family and they begin praying? Since I'm not Catholic, I'm not even Christian. Praying to Jesus is straight blasphemy in my faith. There's only one God and he is not Jesus. Jesus is just a man.

• Edna

Your religion (or lack of religion) is immaterial in this situation. If you're dining with a family who likes to say a prayer before they begin eating, just bow your head (only if you wish to do so) and sit quietly until the prayer is finished. You are not required to join in the prayer, or to pray to anybody.

• Foofa

You just sit quietly until they're finished praying.

'Dinner with Catholic religious family'

good luck !

: ))

my god, thats a stressful appointment lol

well good for you mate.

don't go out of your way to blend in, you're not them.

they have to accomodate you as youre the guest.

just be polite and well mannered and wipe your mouth like a gentleman using your napkin lol

Etiquette demands that you sit quietly while they pray. You do not join in. You don't even have to close your eyes or bow your head, though there's no reason not to.

Watching others pray won't harm you or your own beliefs in any way. Think of it as a minute or two for quiet reflection.

Just sit there in silence and contrary what others have offered, don't bow your head. Only those who will be praying will be doing that, and since you won't be praying, there's no need for it.

i would just be quiet and let them pray

No one said you have to pray with them.  Lower your head until the prayer is over.

• PAMELA

Do not go to their house and eat with them then, but if you go then be polite, it costs nothing just to lower your head while they say grace.

• Cogito

I'm an atheist, but if I'm in the house of a religious person (or at a restaurant with them) I just bow my head and keep quiet.  It's just a matter of respect and politeness.  

And never, ever argue about religion with people unless they bring the subject up and are obviously very happy to discuss it.  It's always far better to change the subject or just say that you respect everyone's beliefs but find it better to avoid religious debate when socialising.

Best you can do is remain quiet during their prayer and not engage in any discussion about religion, unless all parties are comfortable doing so.